Sunday 12 August 2007

IC or maybe I don't..


'Sorry maam, but unfortunately we aren't able to process your application,' the lady named Kerry told me. I was exasperated and glanced at my colleague Anne. This was the second time we had been there and I was just about ready to give up.

'But I brought everything that you asked me to bring - my passport, my driving license and letter of appointment from my company,' I pleaded her.

'I'm really sorry but we can't do it this time around. Your renewed licence is just a card which states your name and license number, there isn't an address and also there isn't any picture. We can't accept this. I really apologise for all the running around that you have had to do. Lets cross our fingers and hope that your utility bill from Malaysia comes soon. I know this is just so silly, we're getting business from you but we're giving you so much trouble,' she said apologetically.

Three weeks later my utility bills from Malaysia arrived. Third times a charmer, they say and thank god, this time around I finally got my English bank account. Phew! Blimey, it was a lot of waiting and a whole load of patience from my side (Anne, thanks for driving me all three times. I hadn't bought Ciku *teehehe* - read my cute lil car at that time).


Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of the security measures a bank has to take to approve and set up a bank account as I used to work in a bank back in Malaysia. What I was quite flabbergasted about was the fact that a) our Identification Card (IC) and b) our driving license were not accepted by the authorities in sunny England.

Ok, I kinda understand the reason why they rejected my driving license. I had just renewed it and was given this card to accompany my original license, which as Kerry had explained to me was minus my pic and addie. It could've have been something I just whipped up at my office whilst nibbling on a home made curry puff.

On the other hand, the fact that the Malaysian IC was not accepted by UK authorities was completely beyond me. Our IC has the smart chip thingy which has all our personal details for shoes sakes, including our license. I just don't get it. Geez, it even has our friggin 'touch n go' details on it. I mean it was a hassle for me , and I bet a whole load of other people before me as well. I mean imagine having to carry cash around with you for six weeks, mind you it was the only stash that I had, so my nervousa brainia was constantly on a high during those weeks. Thank god, I have relatives and friends living here, if anything would've happened to me (touch wood!) I would have still been able to survive, but imagine all those who might have come under the same visa as me and might have ventured here all by their lonesome, I really don't think it would've been a great starting experience in the UK.

Before I ramble on, apologies for my blatant ignorance, I bet Malaysia's darling government officials are doing something about this simple matter, I mean why wouldn't they help their fellow Malaysians and make their life a lot more easier, erm especially in the UK. Come on people, tell me, don't you think that it defeats the purpose of having an IC if its not even recognised? Aren't you guys working hand in hand with HRMs government to make things a tad easier for those living here? It makes as little sense as putting Jimmy Choo and selipar Jepun on the same shelf, if you're not.


But thats just me, as I said, rambling on something that, maybe, is being figured out. I just hope that it happens sooner rather later. I still love my Malaysia and also sunny England. I just hope that someone reads this and realises that it doesn't take blood, sweat and tears to make this small thing possible. First start with sunny England then move on to the world, k'mon fellow Malaysians we can do it..!

Anyways, I'm all excited about the Merdeka Carnival that they're having on TARRC grounds on 1 September. Will tell you all about it. I really hope its not as disappointing as the Malaysia Week they had at Covent Garden a couple of months back. Now that, was REALLY something that truly disappointed me. I know, I know, I sound like a drama queen, but I really thought we could've done 10 million times better than what was pulled off there. I bumped into the Director of Tourism and told him how much negative feedback I received, and believe me he wasn't too happy with my comments. Thing is, the whole Malaysia Week is a fantastic idea, BUT, I know we Malaysians are capable of producing better quality presentation as well as products. *sigh* In short, the way it was presented, and I quote from one of my Mat Salleh friends, 'It made Malaysia look like a third world country.'

I wear my Malaysian badge with as much pride as I wear my bling shoes, but I was rather upset with the whole thing and obviously with that comment. I know we're capable of doing a lot more, I've worked with the guys at Tourism Malaysia and they were a bunch of VERY efficient and bersemangat people, really I mean that, but I won't get into this whole issue this time around, cos that's another story, ain't it?

2 comments:

FairyGodmother said...

Hey Babe,

Following into Ol' Uncle Rocky's shoes I see...hehehehee...naaah...i fully agree with you...but then again, you have to understand that the Malaysian Week was just a tip of the iceberg...sabar kay...if the Malaysian Merdeka Siesta doesn't work out, lets bash them...

You know I like to do that.

Love you baby cakes...

malaysianminx said...

fairygodmother:

u just don't know how i felt babe, i was really disappointed, nak datang makan sebenarnya, but got all upset...yep, the merdeka carnival is gonna be held here kat my office grounds, so we'll see...

love u more!