Tuesday 14 August 2007

Takpela, biasala tu (It's okla, that's normal) *sigh*

I was really glad to find out that my friend decided to do her brief university internship in Malaysia. Despite being born and bred here in rainy England, she is a true blue Malaysian at heart. Smart, well brought up and loyal to her roots, she’d get as upset as a deprived shopper on the last day of a sale, if people degraded Malaysia or even any of its happy citizens.

So, imagine my dismay when I found out just what had happened to her. She did her internship at a local production house, which I must say is quite well known and established. Unfortunately for her, the men who worked with her didn’t quite live up to the same esteemed reputation the company had. They constantly harassed her with lewd comments and startlingly rude one-liners. When I heard some of the things hurled her way, my tired and overworked panda eyes nearly popped out.

Yet there was more to come, she reported the dreadful incidents to her lady producer to which she got the simple reply of, ‘Takpela, biasala tu, akak kena lagi teruk dulu (read: Its okla, it’s normal, I was harassed even worse before this).

I nearly fainted, even the thought of my recently bought white sequined shoes didn’t help calm me down.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this type of treatment and I bet its not an exclusive incident experienced by my poor friend, I can bet my favourite pair of tan coloured peep toed shoes that many others have their own uncomfortable tales to tell.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being a feminist, its just that I realise that this ‘takpela, biasala tu,’ answer has become a household catch phrase. It is nearly as popular as Paris Hilton’s “That’s Hot!”

My actual question would be, have Malaysians become a takpe society? Here are my own embarrassing tales, please read the takpe, biasala tu, with the tone of a dead bored person and roll your eyes as if you don’t have a care in the world:

Oh, the policeman stopped me to get my number. Takpela, biasala tu.

Oh the bank can’t help you to expedite the process.
Takpela, biasala tu.

Oh the bus is late.
Takpela, biasala tu.

Oh the taxi driver hiked up his taxi fare and didn't follow the meter. Takpela, biasala tu.

Oh you have to pay RM30 to the person at the front desk for them to hasten your application.
Takpela, biasala tu.

Malaysians like to gossip.
Takpela, biasala tu.

Malaysians are all talk but don’t do anything about everything. Takpela, biasala tu.


Is it takpe to be a takpe society. Is this what we want for ourselves and for the future generation? Don’t we want to be a progressive society? To be on our toes and to consistently find ways to move forward, to embrace change, not to be content with the negative habits incorporated for so long? Let us sit and ponder what can and should be changed. We are after all celebrating our 50th year of independence, change is after all inevitable, lets make it positive change.

I mean its takpe to be a Malaysian, in fact I love it, its just that it would be takpe to progress rite?


Takpela, am already tired just talking about it.

3 comments:

FairyGodmother said...

Babe, I have been guilty of this in the past (eerrr, and sometimes, the present as well)

Well, as we all say, biasa la tu!

Anonymous said...

Do you know when I realised the extent of sexual harassment in Malaysia? When I went to Australia. I couldn't put my finger on what was different, something intangible ... and then I realised that I was walking down the street completely undisturbed. Harassment is a fact of life in Malaysia lah, as far as I'm concerned - you're fair game if you're a girl. And I don't want to sound takpelah, but I don't know what else to do - I used to snap at the men who made comments at me, now I just ignore. Cos otherwise I'll be spending my whole day snapping at cretins, and so will every other girl here. I'm not saying take it, a line has to be drawn, but really, it's reached the point where there's not really that much we can do!

The Shadow said...

Don't forget not having a pipe in the gents...takepe, biasalah tu...