Tuesday 21 August 2007

A plea for special Malaysians

It was 15 years ago when we went to visit Mummy in the hospital after she had given birth to her fifth child and only son, my baby brother Idris. I remember how happy my parents were when we arrived that morning, but looking back I realise that there was a hint of concern in both my parents eyes. I later found out that Idris is Down Syndrome and that the concern was because they were worried of how they were going to obtain the best education and access to the best facilities to raise my brother. Idris was also diagnosed as deaf and he also contracted meningitis when he was in the hospital. The doctors gave him two years to live, Alhamdulillah, he has now surpassed that age seven folds over.

There were many, many hurdles along the way and as clichéd as this sounds, my parents could possibly be the best set of parents any child could have, they are patient, strong and completely selfless in raising Idris, yet have never neglected any one of their other four daughters. They are determined to give Idris what he deserves and the best that they can afford, whether it be access to facilities for special children or even attention, support and the love that he needs, and their efforts have never faltered even to this day.

Now, years on, apart from being the love of my life, this young man has been a silent teacher, never intrusive, always present, he has taught me what unconditional love is; he has taught me that people are oblivious to those less fortunate unless it hits closer to home; he has taught me about hypocritical people and how shallow some people can be; he has taught me how important education is in heightening awareness about special children so that, as sad and terrible as this sounds, they are not ostracised by society; he has taught me that some people are completely ungrateful with what they have and should count their blessings more than their misfortunes; he made me realise that he is a very much cherished gift and how lucky we are to have him in our lives.

I know many of you have read so many other stories before this and there are only so many words to describe how truly special my brother is. Idris does not ask for much, but he generously gives so much in return. His smile is worth a thousand calm mornings and when he hugs you, you do get the feeling that you’re the most important person in the world. Don’t get me wrong, my baby brother can be naughty at times and will give you the occasional headache, but I wouldn’t trade anything in the world for the times that he gives me those little bouts of dizziness.

I am grateful and very proud that he is in my life and that same adulation, as well as appreciation is also reserved for my beloved parents and my darling sisters.

I know I have rattled on a tad more than I should, but another reason why I am writing this post is so that I can express how I feel about the lack of education and facilities for special children that are available in Malaysia.

It saddens me to think back on what facilities and education were available for special children, and I’m quite sure that it hasn’t changed much. Idris went to the Kiwanis Down Syndrome Centre, but after the early intervention programme they teach the kids, parents are pretty much alone in finding their next source of educating their children. I do know that there aren’t any free secondary special schools for Down Syndrome kids. Special kids are placed in a ‘special class’ at ‘normal’ schools, but it is a known fact that the teachers are not properly well equipped to teach these special kids and more often then not the kids are pretty much left to their own devices, whereas they need constant attention and coaching. Parents do get frustrated after a while and these special kids don’t really learn anything new or useful. In the end, parents do not think it is worth the time to attend such classes. I do know of one school that caters to older special children but there is a massive fee and many parents can’t afford to fork out an exorbitant amount of money.

Ever since I’ve been here in rainy London, I’ve looked around and realised that there are many things that we can learn from the English. Special kids have free special schools, there are specially educated teachers who know how to meet the varying needs of special children and how to address various situations involving these very special individuals. Parents are provided with a carer and some allowance as the British government recognises and acknowledges that these children need extra attention and that parents need to dedicate a large part of their time and energy on them. There are better resources on literature regarding special children, as well as a better support network for families with special children.

I am not asking for a miracle and that we follow every single thing that the Brits have done, but I plead that the Malaysian government look into this with a new magnifying glass, make changes and implement some plans in the near future. I plead that they make facilities and resources more accessible, to extend and share monetary funds to support the building of new centres as well as the education of teachers, and help families who may need assistance. I plead that they heighten awareness by educating the Malaysian public about the needs of special children and how best we can accommodate them and their families.

Many people want a Malaysia that embraces diversity, let it not stop short from embracing special Malaysians, I believe they have as much right as the next Malaysian to become part of Bangsa Malaysia. I hope people will hear this small voice of mine and hope that changes will be made sooner rather than later. I do not want to dream of a better Malaysia, I want to live it and I am more than willing
to help make that change if I have to.

8 comments:

FairyGodmother said...

Babe,
reading abut Idris brought some tears in my eyes, as well as a smile on my lips. Yeah, he is a sweetheart and he will always be my special boyfriend, one that I would never trade, even for Sean Connery.

And reading about the plea u are asking for these Special Malaysian, I feel for you. I would want the same. Maybe not the whole works, but at least the educational portion of it. And the sad part is that these things are obtainable. It's just not important to THOSE people UP there. And I wish they would change.
They had better.

svllee said...

Hi there, yes, London is indeed rainy..today. Welcome to blogging, i have also just started and it has so far been addictive. Being a Malaysian in the UK also, I feel there's always so much to learn and adapt from here to the society back home. Especially in the social healthcare provisions, and despite many complaints about the NHS, its still a great system. People who are incapacitated have the ability to move around independently with motorised buggies, and allowances as you say, are available for home carers who look after their family members.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Glad to find someone who is also so enlightened like Haris in blogospere. Yes, totally agree that special Malaysians are certainly a part of Bangsa Malaysia and will try to focus them in my future posts. Please do click to Bangsa Malaysia blog at:
http://bangmalaysia.wordpress.com/

Although you are not able to join the Bangsa Malaysia get-together, you certainly will be with us in spirit.

Petra said...

This is beautiful, thank you. It makes me more determined to be involved disabilities activism.

Unfortunately, not many care until it affects them - and little do they know that the facilities the disabled need, are what everyone will need when faced with illness and old age.

Do keep writing.

mariannie said...

Salam Malaysianminxinlondon!

My Dearest,
I found your links when my friend email this story to me. I understood how you & your family feel. I also cerebral palsy. I knew how it feel. Take care & good luck for you,my dear Idris & your family. Hope one day -everything gonna change.Will link you to my blog. Hope you don't mind.

Mrs Missycat aka Waterlily

malaysianminx said...

fairygodmother: thanks babe, insya allah, one day someone UP there will do something, till then i'm gonna keep on trying

svllee: thanks for the welcome, have checked out ur pics before, very nice i must say. i hope we'll get to open their eyes and ears a bit more, so that they can learn from the good things and proceed to becoming a better bangsa malaysia

bangmalaysia: thanks for the kind compliment, wish i could say i'm as enlightened as haris but i'm just a beginner and there are so many things that i have yet to learn. defintely wish i was there, but as you said will be there in spirit. thanks so much for the link, am actually a regular visitor of bangmalaysia, love it!

petra: thanks for the comment and kind encouragement. hope i can make my plea a reality and not just a dream, insya allah. glad to know there are people like you who are willing to help these special children as well.

mariannie: thanks for the kind wishes, hope you are alrite and doing fine as well. special malaysians need more support and i think it'll need a lot of jumping up and down to make them notice us! let's keep on trying to attract their attention though! thanks for the link and take care!

svllee said...

Hello, glad you liked the images. Please do join us for the London launch when it happens.

Anonymous said...

What you said about your friends back here is really special, and sweet.

But I was more touched about your sharing about your brother. I didn't really comprehend all those times when you said your brother was special. It is said that God made some of us special just so that we won't be tainted by the evils of the world, and for the rest of us to learn that this can be possible.

Keep it up, - your writing makes a connection with a reader, and that's every writer's dream.

Take care.